Sunday, December 9, 2007

What Are Old People For? The Book

For some reason I’d put off reading What are Old People For? Perhaps I thought I knew (or had read) it all. Nope. Author and gerontologist, Dr. William Thomas, has added historic perspective I’d never even considered. On page 64, Dr. Thomas says “…old age is the single greatest achievement in the history of human kind.” He goes on to say, “We remember Caesar, not Caesar’s grandmother. But what would Caesar have been if he had been born into a world without elders?” Right on!

In the early chapters of the book Dr. Thomas is making the claim that societies flourished when they became complex enough to include elders. One of the specific elder roles was, and still is, the transmission of culture. A 21st century example is found in the magazine Natural History where Sarah Grey Thomason describes the heroic contributions of John Peter Paul. (The title of the article is At a Loss for Words, in case you have to search for it.) Paul, a ninety-one year old elder in Montana, puts the welfare of his tribal language, Salish–Pend d’Oreille, above his own health.

But major sacrifices are not necessarily a requirement. Just telling family stories makes us part of the process. I've loved hearing about how my grandmother, Bessie Bruner, always made a wreath when someone in Round Praire (Texas) passed on. No one died without notice, without flowers. Knowing that makes a difference in how I choose to live.

Other elder roles are also Big. It turns out that all this doting on our grandchildren is marvelous, not only for them, but for the whole society. Read all about it in What Are Old People For? And check out that picture of my grandson, Eli. I'm sure he is destined for Carnegie Hall.

Hank Mattimore, blogging at yagrowsoryadies, has his own take on Thomas's book. Check it out.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Interesting blog. About time we crones and elders got some respect!
Thanks for sharing your info re Dr. William Thomas and his work with "Edenshires" They sound like wonderful places for our elders to live and share their knowledge and wisdom.
I am glad you love doting on your grandkids - I do too!
Wendy

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your blog. I looked into "What are Old People For" and loved it as well. Thanks so much for sharing the link. I'm going to see if I can find it so I can read the whole book. I love blogs that keep me discovering and learning!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I hadn't heard about this book. I'm going to see if my library has it.

sharryb said...

I'm glad folks are interested in What are Old People For? I had only read the first few chapters when I wrote the post. Now that I'm further along, I'm even more impressed. Dr. Bill (as he is known to many of his admirers) is suggesting a profound retinking of elderhood. I'll be chewing on his ideas for awhile. And then, no doubt, be writing more about my take on them.

naomi dagen bloom said...

found you on changing aging blog then linked to your post that reminded me about this book whose title has always intrigued me. thanks too for connection to ya grow old or ya dies (another great title!) from which i quoted.

read more recent posts about your spouse's health challenges and hope that these will ease for both of you.

yours, naomi
www.alittleredhen.com