Monday, September 10, 2007

Seniors Rule!

Seniors. I like this word. I remember the seniors from my high school in Texas: Patty Powers, Sara Brewster. They were like movie stars! I taught/counseled at Grants Pass High School for 23 years, and seniors were a big deal there as well. Beyond life as a senior? Graduation. Commencement.

I also relate to Crone and Elder but not everyone does. Perhaps Boomers will become the new term for us folks over 55. That works for me. I'm a Pre-Boomer with a bit of Boomer Wanna Be. I watched, with awe, from the sidelines as the 50's became something I would never have imagined.

PS Some thoughts since my original post
I am of a generation squeezed in between the Great Ones and the Baby Boomers. It's as if those of us born between about 1939 and 1945 are a mini generation with no real handle. Obviously I'm a bit of a wordsmith, so I chafe at being nameless. Playing with labels gave me a few more, somewhat silly, ideas.

Seniors and Boomers. (I will always be in high school)
The BB's and the BBB's (Baby Boomers and Before Baby Boomers or Beyond Baby Boomers)

1 comment:

Carli N. Wendell said...

You could be pb's--pre-boomers. That reminds me of peanut butter. And who doesn't like peanut butter. . . except, you know, those people who are deathly allergic to it.