Monday, September 24, 2007

Slowing it down

Wow! The book I ordered called Ten Zen Seconds (another by Eric Maisel ) arrived in today's mail. Great timing, since I'm determined to become more centered even as I swerve from one project to another.

Here is a quick summary of Maisel's centering technique. Breathe. A deep inhale lasting five seconds. Pause. A slow exhale lasting five seconds. While doing this, you think one of his 12 incantations. They are really affirmations, but he wants to emphasize the magical effect they'll have. The first one is (on the inhale)"I am completely" pause (on the exhale) "stopping". So simple. The book gives the details of each incantation and lots of examples of their use.

This afternoon I was Focusing, an inner awareness process, with my friend Nancy. She came up with her own affirmation. "Slowing it down" (on the inhale) pause "taking it in" (on the exhale). You can use Maisel's words, Nancy's words, or make up your own.

2 comments:

Anne Marie Bennett said...

Hi Sharry! I just got this book too and started reading it two nights before my stepdaughter's wedding, which just the very thought of was fraught with tension for me because of past unhealthy interactions with my husband's ex...etc. Anyway, I practiced this Ten Zen Seconds thing those few days before the wedding and during the wedding and felt myself IMMEDIATELY calming. I swear, it's like magic! Everyone should read this book! Thanks for this beautiful blog! I love the faces of "you" on the top! Peace,joy, Anne Marie

sharryb said...

Cool, Anne Marie. What affirmation did you use?