Sunday, January 27, 2008

You Don't Have to be Good at This

Meditation, that is. That’s what my teacher, Russell Delman, says. “You don’t have to be good at this. At a deep level meditation is already here.”

I sit in meditation almost every day. Usually just before daylight. Twenty minutes sitting, ten minutes walking, five minutes sitting. It’s a mini version of what we do during the Embodied Life retreats. Sometimes I start reading e-mail and then a few blogs and then make some comments on those blogs and then Sam gets up and I sit for ten minutes or not at all. Consistency is more important than a marathon once a week, but there are really no rules. Today I noticed I was thinking about what to say in this post. But my breath was still there and, eventually, I remembered. The breath is really dependable.

I used to feel like sitting meditation was a digression from my real life: reading, fixing breakfast, walking to the gym, checking the movie reviews, etc. Recently I’m beginning to recognize that sitting and noticing my breath are also real life. Perhaps even more real because I know I’m doing it. That’s called “mindfulness” and after years of sporadic practice, I’m beginning to notice when I’m noticing. Not much to brag about, but I’m satisfied.

I revere Russell. He is a kind and astute teacher. Wise and funny. The SoulCollage card pictured is made to honor him and his teaching. His CD’s offer both guided meditation and Feldenkrais movement instruction.

Another site I recommend is Life is Round – a visual delight. They feature mediation instruction that reflects the idea: the media is the message.

To see a fab SoulCollage card made by my friend Leslie visit SoulCollage talkabout.

3 comments:

Judith Shapiro said...

Love this piece about meditation. I started meditating in 1974 when it was so hip. Truth is, it was the most wonderful thing I ever could have done for myself. I still meditate. The funny thing is, though, that I used to get GRUMPY if I didn't get to meditate. Egads. What good was meditating if I couldn't do without it? Phew. Thank goodness that with age and experience I can.

Anonymous said...

I did TM in the 70's for six years, had kids and my meditation went from erratic to nil. About 6 years ago I started passage meditation via Eknath Eswaran. I've noticed that as I am passing the six year mark once again there is a strong pull to quit it. I have not, but I'm in the erratic stage, trying to let it be what it is and just sit once a day for 20 minutes.

sharryb said...

Thanks for your comments, Judith and Colleen. It's always interesting to hear how others are doing with meditation. It would be hard for me to regular without my group commitment. I started "meditating" on my own years ago. I didn't have a teacher or a method. I'd just heard about it (TM too expensive for me then). I imagined sitting at the botton of the ocean. It seemed to work in that I noticed I felt better when I did it.

~Sharry