Sunday, February 3, 2008

Surprise!

I got a phone call today. It was Jim LeCroy, a fellow graduate of Arlington Heights High School, class of 1959. He had news for me. Good news. Long story short: he had found out the whereabouts of Emily Lunday, my former journalism teacher. I wrote recently on my other blog, SoulCollage talkabout, about what Mrs. Lunday meant to me. What I didn’t say was that I was making a very serious effort to find her.

Of course I started with Google. Nothing. I called the Fort Worth (Texas) school district; they couldn’t tell me anything without a social security number. I joined Net Detective (a complete bust - they don't even have me). I knew my best hope was former students of hers; she was really a wonderful mentor. So I began asking the few folks I still knew in Fort Worth. My friend, Kaye D. Thornton, had worked under her and was good at keeping up with people. Kaye put me in touch with Jim who recently had dinner with Bill Adams who was also looking for Mrs. Lunday and had some information. Her name is now Emily Lunday Garrett. With that name, Google came through. Ms. Garrett was honored (in 2004) for starting Women in New Roles at Tarrant County College back in 1978. Bill even had an address for her.

Emily Lunday Garrett probably doesn’t remember me. Forty-nine years is a long time. But not too long to say, “I remember you. You really made a difference in my life. Thank you."

That letter is in the mail!

Edit: To see a follow-up of this post see post March 30, 2008

4 comments:

Judith Shapiro said...

What a wonderful thing for you to do - for both of you. And I bet she'll remember!

Anonymous said...

Hello Sharry,

I am so interested in your finding Emily Lunday Garrett after all of thses years.

I know there are people in my life that I have lost contact with so I hope you hear from your teacher before long.

We will be waiting to hear,Sharry.

I always can count on you to comment on the Elder Story Telling Place and I really appreciate it.

Let us know about your husband,too. It's a worry,isn't it?

My husband,Roy has had his ups and downs this year but Thank God he is all right now and I hope Sam will be,too.

Wendy said...

Isn't the age of computers, internet and google amazing? How wonderful to connect with somebody from the past, who really made a difference in your life. I'll bet she remembers you too.

BTW - you've been tagged. Check out my blog for details.

Jerry in Tampa said...

Hey Sharry! It really is amazing what we can do with our computers now days! congrats on finding your long lost teacher. You honor yourself by honoring her...

You have a marvelous blog! Very creative and interesting!!! I'll be back soon!

Jerry in Tampa